The top to bottom cleaning of one’s home that is usually referred to as Spring cleaning is a job that specialists advice to get done at least twice a year in order to make your house a more pleasant and comfortable place, and at the same time turn your everyday cleaning duties in a less tiresome endeavour.
Once you get your mind around doing the spring cleaning, you should prepare to spend at least a whole day working on the project. You should be prepared with the proper tools, cleaning products and everything else required in order to get the job done in the most satisfactory manner. Alternatively, you can always hire a professional cleaning company that offers spring cleaning services, but if you are resolved to do it on your own, it might be a good idea to follow some of the tips described below in order to finish in a quicker and more efficient manner:
- Start from the beginning – clean up the doormats – broom and wash them, so that once put in a perfect condition they start doing their job – preventing dirt and dust to enter your home in great quantities.
- The carpets and upholstery are the next things you should focus on. That is probably the toughest job you are going to face during your spring clean. Treat any stains with the necessary products and detergents, and carefully vacuum every inch of carpets and upholstery. You can even consider renting a steam cleaning machine for the day, because it will greatly help you finish the task in a quick and considerably hassle-free manner.
- Get wax or sealer for your hardwood floors. The best thing that you can do for them is to finish them all over again, because that will give them protection from wear and tearing for the year to come.
- All walls, cabinets and drawers should also be carefully washed in order to restore them in a perfect condition. You will be surprised how a certain room becomes much refreshed after a simple wall-wash.
- You should not forget that you should move your furniture around so that you can carefully vacuum the area that the separate pieces have previously occupied. This might be strenuous, but no Spring cleaning is going to be complete without doing so.
- All ceiling fixtures, including fans and the filters of the air-conditioner should be carefully cleaned from dust and dirt. This will greatly improve the quality of the air that you breathe while at home.
- After the ceiling fixtures are taken care of, it comes the time for the light fixtures. An all purpose cleaner, a sponge and a cloth will do the trick, and the light in the rooms will definitely improve afterwards.
The fridge is the most important thing in the kitchen to take care of. Empty and defrost it, then carefully clean any stains and moulding that potentially have occurred, so that you know that your food is stored in healthy conditions.